We get quite a lot of questions about the current status of Virto Commerce platform v3.
Here is a brief FAQ.
What is the current status of Virto Commerce platform v3?
Internal testing is finished. The next step is to facilitate the first migration of the production project. Our goal is to make sure that all migration facilities are working fine in the real-world and that it works for the independent project team.
Is it known when Virto Commerce platform v3 will get to General Availability phase?
Virto Commerce platform v3 will get to General Availability before the 15th of May of 2020.
Do you recommend start using Virto Commerce platform v3 on production already now?
We expect it reasonable to start using Virto Commerce platform v3 for new projects since the March, 15th, of 2020. We will finish the platform v3 tunning before that moment and will focus on migration mechanisms testing. Since that date, v3 issues will be fixed with the highest priority so that partners and customers can rely on our support when starting new projects with the Virto Commerce platform v3.
What will change for Version 2 when version 3 goes to General Availability phase?
- Virto Commerce platform version 2 becomes a long term supported legacy version
- No new functional features or improvements in version 2
- No more architectural improvements in version 2
- Bug-fixing and platform support is still ongoing for version 2 to make sure that there is enough time for customers to migrate their solution without business value delivery interruption.
What will change for Version 3 when it goes to General Availability phase?
- Virto Commerce platform version 3 becomes a master system for functional features and architectural improvements. We continue to actively invest in it.
- All new customers use platform Version 3 for their eCommerce solution development projects.
- Making updates of Version 3.X we DO guarantee the backward comparability of the last version 3.X with the previous 3.X version.
How can a customer migrate from version 2 to version 3?
- It will be possible to migrate it by using migration scripts and migration guides developed by our team if the system was extended via Virto Commerce extension points.
- In case of deep customization you will need to execute a migration project using our migrations guidelines
Does “migration” means that we in fact need to develop a new project from scratch on version 3?
- No, migration projects are limited and don’t assume re-writing an application from scratch; migration is about updating technology and testing the result
When the Long-Term Support phase would be finished for the version 2?
- It will happen in two years after the moment when version 2 officially becomes legacy (i.e. since the moment when version 3 gets to GA)
When do you expect to start working on a platform version 4?
We are aiming to be technologically up to date and follow Microsoft, so we depend on Microsoft first of all. At the same time, we are aiming to reduce the number of migrations and related efforts as much as possible. Since we do professional service ourselves we understand the pain.