We get quite a lot of questions about the current status of Virto Commerce platform v3.
Here is a brief FAQ.
What is the current status of Virto Commerce platform v3?
Improved beta version (all critical and most of the known bugs are fixed) was published in October 2019. Currently, we are working on final acceptance testing which is expected to be finished before December, 10th.
Is it known when Virto Commerce platform v3 will get to General Availability phase?
No, the GA date is still not defined for Virto Commerce platform v3. Dev team made a great job of migrating a platform to new technology. At the same time are still working on verifying architecture decisions because we would like to make sure that the system achieved the desired quality in terms of non-functional requirements. We are going to inform you about the progress regularly in this community forum topic.
Do you recommend start using Virto Commerce platform v3 on production already now?
We don’t recommend using Virto Commerce platform v3 on production because we can not yet guarantee the lack of breaking changes before achieving the General Availability phase.
What will change for Version 2 when version 3 goes to General Availability phase?
- Virto Commerce platform version 2 becomes a long term supported legacy version
- No new functional features or improvements in version 2
- No more architectural improvements in version 2
- Bug-fixing and platform support is still ongoing for version 2 to make sure that there is enough time for customers to migrate their solution without business value delivery interruption.
What will change for Version 3 when it goes to General Availability phase?
- Virto Commerce platform version 3 becomes a master system for functional features and architectural improvements. We continue to actively invest in it.
- All new customers use platform Version 3 for their eCommerce solution development projects.
- Making updates of Version 3.X we DO guarantee the backward comparability of the last version 3.X with the previous 3.X version.
How can a customer migrate from version 2 to version 3?
- It will be possible to migrate it by using migration scripts and migration guides developed by our team if the system was extended via Virto Commerce extension points.
- In case of deep customization you will need to execute a migration project using our migrations guidelines
When the Long-Term Support phase would be finished for the version 2?
- It will happen in two years after the moment when version 2 officially becomes legacy (i.e. since the moment when version 3 gets to GA)
When do you expect to start working on a platform version 4?
We are aiming to be technologically up to date and follow Microsoft, so we depend on Microsoft first of all. At the same time, we are aiming to reduce the number of migrations and related efforts as much as possible. Since we do professional service ourselves we understand the pain.